Up to one hour
Camera or phone with a camera to film on
Writing equipment for making notes
Stories can be told in lots of different ways. They can be true or fiction. They can be in books or magazines. They can be in films or on the news. They can even be on YouTube or TikTok. Try telling your story by making a vlog about something important to you. Or it could be a news report about something that has happened to you.
First, think about how you can film your vlog/news story.
- Will you film yourself or will you get someone else you help film you?
- Where can you stand so that is light, quiet and a nice background for your video?
- If you have a lot to say, you could split your video up into several clips, for example – four video clips, around 30 seconds each for a two minute video.
Plan what you want to talk about.
- Start with an introduction – tell us your name, age and where you are reporting from.
- Pick a story or topic that is important to you. For example:
– A memory of your favourite day or time and why you liked it.
– Sharing your experience of lockdown to people who might not know what it’s like for chidlren.
– What do you want to be when you grow up – who inspires you?
– What it’s like to go to your school – what have you done that you are proud of?
- If you want to, you write some short notes to remind you what you want to talk about – but only reminders of topics, you don’t need to write all of the words in a script.
- Practice speaking in front of the camera first and playback your videos for a test if you need to. This way you can see if your voice is clear enough to hear and that there isn’t too much background noise.
- It is best to stand still when talking to the camera – if you are moving a lot, things in the background might be distracting or noisy.
- Talk in your normal speaking voice and try not to speak too fast. Use short and clear sentences, and try to speak at a good volume.
- Try to get them to look into the camera lens when they speak, instead of at other people.
The most important advice is to be creative, and most importantly be yourself! We went to hear about you and your life, not anybody else’s!